Sunday, June 14, 2009

Telling Time... lots of practice helps!



All grade levels, plus the House Mothers, wanted to learn how to tell time in English. I spent a lot of time in direct instruction, plus modeling how to tell time. The visual on the board helped.



Next I developed a worksheet that required the students to not only write in the face of the clock, but to also put the hands in the correct locations, based on the directions I'd given them.



To check for understanding, once the students had finished their worksheet in class, I had students come up to the white board and draw in the hands for each of the time telling problems I'd given them.

From my own experience of trying to learn other languages, I found telling time to be one of the most challenging. These students did a superb job learning to tell time!

No comments: