Sunday, June 14, 2009

Yikes! My teaching schedule at SOS Village

The first day I arrived at SOS Village Tabanan, the Director, Mr. Haryono, handed me my teaching schedule written in Indonisian. Even though I could not read the words, I could see my name there ... and the times for when I'd be teaching. I looked at it and thought .... "Wow!" Seven and a half hours of teaching per day!



9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. the House Mothers (ten of them!)
2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. a combination 4th, 5th, 6th.... some 14 children!
4:00 p.m. to 6: p.m. the 7th graders .... most I had was 18!
7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m..... the 8th and 9th graders .... all 14 of them....

Challenging schdule ... especially since these students were still in school, finishing up their last week of classes before the month long summer break.



So academics, per say were out of the question! No textbook to use, a whiteboard available.... and children waiting for me to teach them English!



Even though I stressed big time while still in Redlands, as to whether or not I should buy this $2.98 glittery ball .... eventually I did .... and it turned out to be one of my most effective teaching aids!

No comments: